Sunday, August 23, 2009

Emotional Rescue


As a musician and big fan of the Rolling Stones, I'm certain that even Mick Jagger would have a tough time understanding the compassion and forgiveness that I personally witnessed while in Rwanda. In this photo with me is Narcisse (left) and Pascal (right). Both of these men are part of a reconciliation program administered by Rwanda Partners (www.rwandapartners.org) where victims and perpetrators of the 1994 genocide are brought together to reconcile and forgive so that the country can move forward with healing and live in peace. 

Narcisse was the man who murdered Pascal's pregnant wife during the killings of 1994. Through the long process of reconciliation and forgiveness, they have since become great friends and now spend much time together with each other and their families. I did not know how I was going to feel while sitting in the presence of Narcisse when I first learned of his story. It's hard to explain but I came to see him more as a human being like me than like a cold-blooded killer. Believe me, I am still struggling to understand. That's another part of the Journey to Rwanda.

This week we start building a new house for one of the sponsored families.

No comments:

Post a Comment